Wednesday, March 24, 2010

8. Get a puppy

Well, it's with a heavy heart I write this blog entry.

I got a puppy on March 14. She was a beagle mix from a rescue and was 8 weeks old on March 16. I kept her for 5 days, and then took her back to the rescue. She was an amazing little girl, and it is making me sad to write this.

Delaney was a great puppy. She was rambunctious but curled up to nap all the time. She was mastering potty training pretty well and ate like a little horse. She has this great little attitude.....she got annoyed when I didn't let her wander wherever she wanted and would turn around and look at me and yank her head away. She was the perfect puppy for me......at the wrong time. She was just too much for me. Unfortunately, it took getting a puppy for me to realize I am not ready for the responsibility or committment. My heart broke into 1000 little pieces when I took her back.

I know it was the right choice for her and for me. She deserved someone who had more time to devote to her and someone who had more time they WANTED to devote to her. If I had had a partner in this, it would have been different. But being tied to my apartment and a little life was too much for me.

I miss her a lot, but I know it would have been the ultimate selfish act to keep her cause I was too weak to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment